A strong aroma of hair dye and excited chit chat filled the air of Toni&Guy in Scottsdale on June 24th for the No7 Cosmetics- Model of the Year 2013 competition makeover for Phoenix Fashion Week. The competition began earlier that weekend with a model search casting call where 40 were chosen to begin their three month journey to becoming a brand. The models will be educated by PHXFW’s team on building a better portfolio, mastering runway walking, and ultimately becoming a successful model in the fashion industry.
The competition launched with the first challenge: Headshot- where the models were taken to Toni&Guy, given makeovers and then preceded to do headshots. The Simply Audree Kate team was thrilled to be invited to this private event to give you a first hand look of what really goes on behind the perfect headshot and share some words from the models themselves.
Courtney, the Academy Director of Toni&Guy (pictured to the right), said this is the first year they will be paired with PHXFW. In the past, the international brand has been a partner with NYC and LA fashion week and the academy couldn’t be happier to be extending the support to Phoenix this year. At upcoming events you can expect to see T&G at events and participating in fashion week in many aspects. *spoiler alert* things like braiding stations will be set up for guests (fashion events AND getting your hair done?! what could be better?)
The Operations Director of PHXFW, Brenna, is very excited about the partnership with Toni&Guy, “They are a well recognized brand that has a lot of experience and we are very excited of what they bring to the table. Our cosmetic partner, No7 is also another collaboration for this year’s challenge.” Through Brenna’s past five years with fashion week, some of the biggest challenges the team has faced was getting people to believe in the growing fashion community in Phoenix, but with many hours and years of preparations and hard work, PHXFW is getting more and more recognized for their successes and this year will be another one for the books!
Dynelle, the Style Team Leader, has been with PHXFW since 2008 and works directly with the models to help develop them through the challenge as well as working directly with the designers to make sure their models have the perfect look for the runway collection. Through Dynelle’s experience, she states that the runway continues to change but a few looks have remained the same- loose beachy waves, high buns with smoky eyes and colorful lips. Do you think the style will stay the same this year?
A sneak peak at some of the models:
– 3rd year competing
– Her favorite part of the challenge is getting to meet everyone and being presented with the great opportunities
– Personal style: trendy and chic
– Best advice as a model: everything for the model challenge is graded, so go above and beyond!
– Hobbies: gym, going to the river, and being outdoors
– 1st year competing
– His dad suggested he start modeling
– Incoming freshman at ASU studying Policical Science
– Looking forward to the exposure and portfolio experience from the competition
*Won male head shot challenge*
– 1st year competing and just started modeling
– Excited to be exposed more to the modeling industry
– hobbies: going to the beach and hanging out with her sorority sisters
– Personal style: basics and neutral colors
– Best advice so far as a model: come early and be prepared!
– 1st year competing
– Scouted at Scottsdale Fashion Square and just began modeling
– Plays football in his free time
– Personal Style: skinny jeans and beanies
– He has realized how hard it is to be yourself at modeling events but he is the youngest in the competition and we are so excited to see his growth and success throughout the event!
–1st year competing
– Used to be in pageants and started modeling in February
– 1st runner-up for Miss Arizona Teen
– Personal style: trendy and colorful; style icon is Blake Lively
– In her free time she is a self proclaimed “nerd”, she loves reading, volunteering and she works in several science labs
The competition is fierce. Gorgeous models, great makeovers and a killer portfolio to top it off. But can they walk the walk? Only time will tell to see how these top female and male models compete to be the Model of the year!
xoxo Audree Kate
Interviews by Audree Kate and Kelly B.